Founded in 1947, and with approximately 6,000 members in over 80 countries and many geographical regions, the International Biometric Society (IBS) is an international society for the advancement of biological science through the development of quantitative theories and the application, development and dissemination of effective mathematical and statistical techniques. The Society welcomes as members biologists, mathematicians, statisticians, and others interested in applying similar techniques.
The Society offers members ways to enhance their professional development, and serves as a focal point for members to feel engagement and a stake in the profession beyond their immediate position. IBS provides its members with information, resources, awards, training, online resources, publications, and networking opportunities, all of which help to keep members at the top of their field.
When you join IBS you will receive a wide variety of content and services on demand, including:
- Free online access to the Biometrics journal, hosted by Oxford University Press (Online ISSN 1541-0420).
- Free online access to JABES, the Journal of Agricultural, Biological, and Environmental Statistics (Online ISSN 1537-2693).
- Significantly reduced fees for papers subscriptions to JABES.
- Access to older issues of Biometrics and JABES for a nominal fee through our partner, JSTOR.
- Free online access to Biometric Bulletin, which includes career opportunities, international conference listings, and news from our many IBS Regions. Through our website, members can now access 40 years of Society history, with just a few clicks!
- Discounted registration fees to every International Biometric Conference.
- Free access to online sessions, such as the Journal Club and our new Distinguished Lecture series.
- Access to all active member contact information for professional networking through the online directory.
- Access to the IBS Members Community, a perfect way to connect online with colleagues and friends from around the globe, 24 hours per day.
- Opportunities to get involved as a volunteer through our new Volunteer Pool program.
- Access to other members-only features of the IBS website including online account management and links to your personal profile.
- Brand new online networking opportunities, such as the Mentoring Program, with access to more than 6,000 biostatisticians from around the world.
- For members in lower and middle-income countries: Benefit through access to scientific meeting travel grants.
- For members for which English is a second language: The Prose Editing Project (PEP) helps members polish up their manuscripts intended for publication in scientific journals.
Sometimes, the most important benefits of membership are intangible. For many, being connected to members from nearly every continent opens up a world of possibilities... and perspectives. IBS membership is a truly virtuous circle. In belonging to a community, you are more likely to attend events. In attending events, you are more likely to strike up acquaintances with like-minded (and, just as important, differently-minded) new colleagues with whom you can discuss and deliberate. In meeting new colleagues, you are more likely to form ongoing collaborations and friendships. In forming friendships, you are more likely to feel as though you belong to our community, and so it goes!
In addition, most IBS members also have access to a variety of local conferences, services and networking benefits through your local biometricians' / statisticians' society!
Consider joining IBS, your professional home internationally. IBS is here to serve you, whether you are starting in or practice in an academic setting, are in business and industry, or in a government post.
Ready to Join?
For more information on local services, and to identify the local affiliated biometric society in your Region, click here for an IBS listing of International Regions.