The International Statistical Institute (ISI) and the International Biometric Society (IBS) are jointly sponsoring an initiative to fund two young statisticians who are members of both Societies to participate in the 64th ISI World Statistics Congress, 2023 (https://www.isi2023.org/) in Ottawa.
There is a growing cohort of past award winners, or Young Ambassadors, who are helping to promote collaboration between young statisticians of the ISI and IBS. We invite you to become one of them! For the purpose of this competition, a "young statistician" is defined as someone who has obtained his/her most recent statistics qualification in the last ten years, i.e. their PhD (or latest degree in statistics) was awarded after 1st January, 2014. He or she must be a current member of the IBS. If not already a member of both Societies, a successful applicant is expected to join ISI as well as the IBS.
IBS considers the Young Ambassadors Program open to all of our younger members, though we particularly encourage applicants from lower and middle-income countries to apply (see guideline here <https://data.worldbank.org/income-level/low-and-middle-income).
Information required in the application is as follows:
- Applicants must first submit a short paper. Please access this link for instructions: https://forms.isi-web.org/isi-young-ambassadors-to-wsc-2023/. Please complete this step no later than Friday, 24 March 2023.
- Information on the paper must also be forwarded to the IBS for the purposes of this competition. This information may be sent via e-mail to email@example.com.
- With this e-mail, submit a curriculum vitae of at most two pages.
- Also, submit a statement of up to 100 words indicating how participation in the ISI World Statistics Congress (WSC) 2023 will promote positive interaction between ISI and IBS and the applicant's personal career.
All materials are to be grouped together. The application is due by Friday, 24 March 2023 and should be e-mailed to the Society at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The applications will be considered by a joint ISI-IBS committee. Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously attended an ISI World Statistics Congress. The intention is to inform applicants of the decision by 30 April 2023. The selected Ambassador(s) will receive free registration to the ISI WSC2023 conference and recognition in the ISI and Associations Award Brochure.
We look forward to your participation!
- The award is by application to a competition. The competition is open to all members of IBS (for WSC) and of ISI (for IBC) who are within 10 years of their PhD (or other last Statistics degree) at the time of the competition submission deadline.
- The documents required to be submitted by applicants may be determined by the separate societies (ISI for IBC; IBS for WSC), but may include:
- An abstract or paper for the proposed conference,
- A CV,
- A brief statement of how the Conference participation will enhance the career of the applicant,
- A brief statement how the applicant will help to promote interaction of Young Statisticians between the two Societies, and
- A statement of financial need.
- Any document required will be considered by the evaluation Committee in making their decisions.
- A Committee will evaluate the submissions.
- It is expected that IBS awardees to WSC will join the ISI Young Statisticians.
- Each awardee may receive an award of up to $5,000.
- In order to submit a paper to the ISI, the creation of an account may be required.
- Funding awarded may be used for any of the following (i.e. all of the following would be considered acceptable uses):
- return economy airfare to the conference's host country.
- an amount to cover six (6) nights' accommodation (to be used as the successful applicant wishes).
- registration fee for attending a short course or satellite meeting (chosen by the successful applicant).
- An amount to cover up to two additional nights' accommodation, if needed due to extended travel itineraries.
Peter Doherty, CAE
International Biometric Society
Washington, DC USA